Snow and Ice Conditions
Snow and Ice Conditions
Hagerstown, MD (December 23, 2008): The City of Hagerstown's Code Administration Division reminds citizens about code issues relating to snow and ice conditions.
"Sidewalks need cleared even when it is a light snowfall. The City Code that relates to ice and snow requires that the public sidewalks be cleared," stated John Lestitian, Director of Code Administration. "Our concern is for the safety of pedestrians throughout the City. Property owners need to make plans ahead of a storm to ensure their sidewalks can be cleared of ice and snow within the parameters of the code. Unfortunately, with the low temperatures, the sun is not going to melt the snow without the assistance of ice melt or salt."
Mr. Lestitian went on to list a number of items from the City Code relating to snow and ice including:
* Public sidewalks shall be maintained free from accumulations of ice and snow. It is the responsibility of the abutting property owner to maintain a clear and unobstructed sidewalk for the width of the sidewalk or 48" which ever is less.
* The City of Hagerstown gives property owners within the City's "business district" 4 hours after snowfall stops to shovel the walks, unless it stops between 9pm and 5am, then they have until 9am the next day to get the sidewalks clear.
* For purposes of this code section, the "business district" is defined as those properties located within the area bounded by Church Street and East Avenue to the north, Mulberry Street to the east, Baltimore Street to the south and Prospect Street to the west.
* In all other areas of the City, the pedestrian areas shall be maintained as above within 10 hrs after the storm subsides.
* Ice and snow conditions that remain unabated are declared a nuisance and are subject to abatement by the City or its contractors. The property owner will be billed for the cost of the abatement plus a $65.00 administrative fee.
* The Community Development Department is coordinating volunteers to assist those property owners who occupy their dwelling if they are:
1. physically unable to clear their walks, and
2. financially unable to pay for snow removal, and
3. do not have any resource, family or neighbor, able to clear the walks.
Individuals who are in need of this service and meet the criteria should call 301-739-8577 x191.
* Individuals or organizations who would like to volunteer with the snow removal program should contact 301-739-8577 x191.
Individuals who would like more information on Hagerstown's code regarding snow and ice abatement should call 301-739-8577 x103.