In 1768, Jacob Hess built a grist mill on the bank of the Little Antietam creek and a house for himself near the stream. Other log houses for the workers to live in were built nearby. This became the origin of the town.
About 1755 a public highway extended about a mile east of the little Centerville nucleus, known as Mount Hebron Road, over which General Braddock is said to have passed in marching from South Mountain at Dahlgren's to Fort Duquesne, PA.
In 1825 the Boonsboro-Sharpsburg road was built and attracted more settlers to the little grist mill colony.
In 1793 the first stone house was built in the village, 25 years after the grist mill and saw mill settlement and 32 years before the Boonsboro-Sharpsburg highway was built. It was build by John Weaver, a master mason who built several of the famous Antietam stone bridges - Burnside Bridge being one of them. This stone house (33 North Main) was used as a school building and a church by different denominations as time went on.
Another lovely old stone house - 200 years old, in the center of the town was owned by Charles Kefauver- is thought to have been built in 1801 by Christian Hess.
In 1861, just 140 years ago, John Weaver was employed by Phillip Pry to build a "stone hall", as it was then called. The building was used as the town hall. Later, one half was used as a saddler's shop and the other half as a dwelling unit.
The first brick house in the town was built about 1863 at the intersection of the Eakle's Mill road by Sammual Keedy, who kept a store in it for thirty-four years.
In 1840, the town obtained a post office through the initiative if Sammual Keedy. The postal authorities changed the name from Centerville (there was a Centerville on the eastern shore) to Keedysville, for Sammual Keedy.
The old stone mill in the center of the town was built in 1841 by John J. Keedy and was in operation until 1954. The last owner was Russell Geeting who had the old landmark removed in 1960.