Whiting House Museum
Whiting House Museum
Cradling the Past
The F. Brook Whiting House is a charming bungalow, built for a prominent Cumberland family. This 1911 home was built for F. Brook Whiting I, who was born in Moorefield, West Virginia on October 18, 1873. Mr. Whiting graduated from the University of Virginia and then studied law at the University of Maryland, graduating in 1898.
During the Spanish-American War, Mr. Whiting enlisted in Company C of the First Maryland Regiment from Cumberland. In November 1912, Mr. Whiting married Miss Ruth White, daughter of Warren C. White. Mayor of Cumberland, Mr. White owned a lumber business, was President of the German Brewing Company, Queen City Brick and Tile Company and a director of the Citizens' National Bank. Mr. & Mrs. Whiting had two children a daughter, Anne Frances, and a son, Frances Brooke II.
F. Brooke Whiting II grew up to be a curator of rare books at the University of California in Los Angeles for more than thirty years. He served in the American Field Service from 1942-1945 during World War II.
Anne Frances graduated from the Allegany County Academy and Bryn Mawr. During World War II, after completing a two-month course of training in Midshipman's school, Northampton, MA, she was commissioned as an ensign in the United States Naval Reserve. She was later assigned to duty in the Bureau of Navy Personnel in Washington DC and subsequently assigned to the headquarters of the Army of Occupation in Germany. After leaving the Navy, Miss Whiting had a distinguished career with the CIA.
The family traveled extensively throughout the world and collected oriental porcelains, artwork and many other interesting objects. The collections from these travels along with many antiques from the Whiting and White families were left along with their comfortable bungalow to the Allegany County Historical Society, permitting the public to view their wonderful collections.
To see a few pieces in the collection, visit www.whitinghousemuseum.com.
The Whiting House Museum, located at 632 Washington Street, Cumberland, MD is open Tuesday-Saturday with tours given hourly at 1:00, 2:00, and 3:00pm, and by appointment. Call 301-777-7782 for more information and directions.