Fish News: A Little Business

PHOTO CAP: Ninety-eight year old Uncle Russell spot fishing at M&M. On his first drop he caught a double header.

Fish News
A Little Business

Capt. Reese Bowles, of Catchin' With Capt. Reese fame, will be the speaker at the October 21st meeting. If you have heard Capt. Reese before, you know that this will be an entertaining and educational meeting.
A little club business: It is that time of year where we look for members who are willing to serve on the board. Let any of the current board members know if you would be willing to be an officer or board member for 2009. It is also time to start paying our dues for 2009. The club is financially healthy so dues will remain $30 for a family membership. Make sure to reserve Feb. 27. That will be the night of our annual awards banquet.
Sept. 30, I caught a couple of nice puppy drum off of my pier up in Chisman Creek.
Sept. 29, Tricia and I went over to Rudee Inlet, mid-day. We started out fishing for spot. We caught some but it was not hot and heavy. The fish were 1/3-1/2 pound. Good for jack bait but not too good for a spot tournament. Tricia did catch a speckled trout. We then ran out to the light tower. A lot of stuff in the water. Water was green but pretty clear. We tried for jacks with no luck. When we first got there, we were greeted by a huge cobia. It went down after looking at us and we never saw it again. We also saw a blacktip shark and some spadefish. The spadefish were skittish but they were there. What I did not see were cigar minnows, which were there before the blow.
Sept. 27, Mike Avery fished Bluefish Rock for a late season cobia. They managed to catch two. It is the cobia season, which won't end.
Sept. 22, Chris and Dave Boyce fished the Lynnhaven Inlet Bridge. They caught 11 puppy drum up to 22 inches. They also caught some big croaker. The largest weighed in at 2 pounds 7 ounces.
Sept. 21, Mike Avery, Wes Blow, and Brian Hogge fished at Bluefish Rock. They had 13 cobia bites and boated 9 cobia. They kept 3, the largest of which weighed in at 54 pounds.
Sept. 21, Rick Wineman spent the morning at York Spit. They caught 3 cobia up to 52 inches long. They released all 3 fish.
Sept. 21, it was too rough for us to get offshore. I was not planning on fishing at all but Ric Burnley said that he would like to give it a try inshore. I said that if he was dumb enough to go, I was dumb enough to go with him. Roger Burnley and Bob Manus also joined us. We started out catching some spot inside of Rudee Inlet. Bob hooked into something larger. When I first saw it, I thought he had a puppy drum but on second look, he had a big croaker. Bob put the fish in the cooler. I thought that it looked like a record jack bait and got it out of the cooler and put it in the livewell. After we had enough bait, we idled back to Inlet Station Marina to weigh Bob's croaker. It weighed-in at 3 lb 2 oz earning Bob his first croaker citation. We then slowly made our way out to the Chesapeake Light Tower to try for jacks. We had a half dozen bites. Bob earned a release citation for a 48-inch crevalle and Roger earned one for a 46-inch fish. These were the first crevalles for both anglers. Those were the only two we caught. We broke off a couple and pulled hooks on a couple of others. We then ran into Sandbrige and anchored up. We put out baits for cobia, kings, and red drum. We caught sharks. We never did put that croaker out. It got to be a pet and it was good shape in the livewell so we ended up letting it go.

Dr. Ken Neill, III writes a weekly column for The Peninsula Salt Water Sport Fisherman's Association (