Fulton County Destinations
Fulton County Destinations
In 1793, a man named Francis Asbury began Methodist services for the people of Green Hill and the surrounding area. The church was built in 1841 from stones and lumber from Sideling Hill Mountain. You can still view the original pews, pulpit and Deacon's bench. Asbury Church is located on Route 30 approximately 8 miles west of McConnellsburg.
Big Spring Graveyard
This is the site of the Great Cove Massacre, November 7, 1755, when settlers' homesteads in the cove were burned and settlers captured by the Delaware and Shawnee Indians under the leadership of Chief Shingas.
Burnt Cabins Grist Mill
Located near Route 522 in Burnt Cabins, this water-powered mill still produces flour sold nationally. Over 200 years old, the mill is on the National Register of Historic Places and also features a campground and general store housed in a restored log structure.
Cowans Gap State Park
Nestled in a hollow east of Tuscarora Mountain in Fulton County's northeast corner, Cowans Gap received its name from Major John and Mary Cowan who swapped their wagon and horses for 100 acres in this valley from a Tuscarora Indian chief. The chief made a covenant to be at peace with the Cowan family forever. In 1908 the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania purchased a huge tract of land that included the Cowan property.
Following William Penn's land purchase of 1754, British General John Forbes began to build a 12-foot wide supply road from Philadelphia to Fort Duquesne (Pittsburgh) where the French were claiming territory. Along with Braddock's road, the Forbes Road was the colony's earliest land route to the great West. Portions of the old roadbed have been marked as a Boy Scout project. Route 522 from Fort Littleton to Burnt Cabins, south on Aughwick Road to Cowans Gap State Park parallel or coincide with the trail, which connected Fort Bedford, Fort Littleton and Fort Loudon.
A prominent Georgian-influenced stone tavern built circa 1793 and located on Lincoln Way East in McConnellsburg, this inn once boarded governors and four presidents and was originally knows as The Union Hotel. The building is now restored following a devastating 1944 fire that destroyed much of the 18th century interior of the original structure. The 1820 east end addition was not affected by the fire. This portion of the building houses the Fulton County Historical Society Museum, which is open to the public on special occasions.
Last Confederate Bivouac
After burning nearby Chambersburg on July 30, 1864, Confederate soldiers camped for the night on the Patterson Farm along Cove Creek one mile south of McConnellsburg. They demanded 2,600 meals of the townspeople who numbered about 550. Many drunken soldiers then looted homes. This was the last Confederate camp, or bivouac, on northern soil and is recognized by a state historic marker on the west side of Route 522.
Meadow Grounds Lake
A few miles southwest of McConnellsburg, the 208-acre site is operated by the Pennsylvania Fish & Game Commission. Open for hunting, fishing, boating (non-gasoline powered boats only) and hiking. Among the state's unspoiled lakes, a handicapped accessible fishing pier is available along with a boat launching ramp.
Winter ice fishing is popular here. One well-liked hike is from the dam breast south on Jarrett Trail to a cascading waterfall, but it can be challenging in places.
Sideling Hill Mountain
Just east of the Bedford/Fulton County line, Sideling Hill features a beautiful picnic area on top of the mountain along Route 30. There are pavilions, picnic tables, and rest areas, plus a registry for passing bicyclists to sign confirming their efforts in climbing the mountain. A network of trails crisscrosses the mountain top, and hikers will find both relatively flat and hilly terrain. Bicyclists can access a 10-mile stretch of abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike, which includes two tunnels, one being 1.3 miles long, so don't forget to bring along a light.
This 252-mile hiking trail runs from Marysville PA south to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. It enters Buchanan State Forest near Spring Run, travels southwest along the top of Tuscarora Mountain, descends into Allen's Valley and Cowans Gap State Park, and follows part of the colonial era Forbes Road trail. Ascending to the summit of Tuscarora Mountain again, the blue-blazed trail follows the mountain top across Routes 30 and 16, then along the mountain through state game and forest lands into Maryland. It was originally planned as an alternate section of the Appalachian Trail because of right-of-way threats.
Four miles south of McConnellsburg along Route 522, Civil War veterans are interred in this historic cemetery on the west side.