CVB Sponsors Interpretive Markers Which Attract Heritage Travelers

CVB Sponsors Interpretive Markers Which Attract Heritage Travelers

On July 12, 1863, Union cavalry under the command of Gen. George Armstrong Custer rode into Hagerstown and drove out dozens of Confederate soldiers who were occupying the city. The Confederates entered Hagerstown on July 6, during their retreat from the Battle of Gettysburg a few days earlier, and held the city until Custer's decisive charge. Before the Confederates relinquished their grip, however, battles raged in the city's streets, houses and graveyards.
This story and others recounting the Battle of Hagerstown are inscribed on two interpretive signs that hang on the parking garage off North Potomac Street. A third sign, on the side of the Elizabeth Hager Center, describes Civil War troop movements in Washington County.
The signs were put up last spring as part of a local and state program known as Civil War Trails. They are three of 19 Civil War Trails signs or waysides that have been placed at significant sites throughout Washington County.

Provided by The Crossroads, News and Notes from the Washington County Travel Industry. For more information visit www.marylandmemories.com.