Staving off 'Superbugs'
Staving off 'Superbugs'
(NewsUSA)- While it has long been a problem in hospitals nationwide, Staphylococcus, commonly known as a staph infection, has become a threatening issue in another frequented location - the hallways of schools.
Several high schools in the Washington, D.C. area recently reported multiple cases of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus (MRSA), a strain of staph that is considered a "superbug" and extremely drug-resistant. The alarming incidents have had many parents and concerned community members wondering how to keep future occurrences of staph from becoming a daily concern.
"Keeping our children and teachers safe from contagious bacteria like staph is highly important -; especially with the news of outbreaks across the country," said Dr. Claus Wagner-Bartak, president of Red Reef Laboratories. "Our family of BioClear products has been specifically designed to combat harmful bacteria like staph in a non-toxic, biodegradable manner."
Staph bacteria is commonly spread through close contact and by indirectly touching infected clothing. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, millions of Americans carry staph bacteria on their skin and the inside of their nose without any symptoms or infection. But staph can easily pass through open cuts, leading to painful bumps, and more serious conditions such as pneumonia and toxic shock - which is why good hygiene is critical in preventing staph. Adhering to the following tips will help keep you safe:
* Keep your hands clean by washing thoroughly with soap and water or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer throughout the day.
* Make sure to keep cuts and scrapes clean and covered with a bandage until they are healed.
* Avoid coming in contact with other people's wounds or bandages.
* Don't share personal items such as towels or razors, which have been known to commonly harbor staph bacteria.
When you are around someone who has a staph infection, there are additional steps that can be taken to avoid spreading the infection to family and friends:
* Clean surfaces daily with a safe and effective disinfectant such as Red Reef's family of BioClear products, which also help contain and kill mold and other harmful bacteria and viruses.
* Use a solution of one tablespoon of bleach mixed with one quart of water to disinfect all non-disposable items that may have come in contact with the infected area, wound drainage or soiled supplies.
* Wash soiled linens and clothes with hot water and laundry detergent, and dry on a hot setting.
For more information on Red Reef Laboratories (RRLB) and the BioClear family of products, visit www.redreef.biz.