Tips For Consumers: Tips for the Safe Use of Portable Computers
Tips For Consumers
Tips for the Safe Use of Portable Computers
If you own a laptop computer, you enjoy its portability and convenience. But these machines need special care. Here are some safety tips for laptop and notebook computer users in the Hagerstown area:
* Carefully read your owner's guide for directions related to the safe use of your computer and the storage and charging of its battery.
* Laptops are easily stolen. If possible, see if you can find software that freezes and protects the data against unauthorized users.
* Handle your computer gently. Avoid dropping or bumping it. If it falls onto a hard surface, it could sustain serious damage.
* Batteries require special care. Do not permit a loose battery to come in contact with metal objects (coins, keys or jewelry). Always buy correct replacement batteries from a reliable seller to avoid purchasing a counterfeit.
* Use compatible chargers. If you are unsure, check with the manufacturer.
* Ventilation is important. Laptops can get hot during normal use so it's wise to inspect and clean the air vents on a regular basis. Always operate them on a hard surface. If you want to place your laptop on a soft surface, use a good laptop desk with vents large enough to allow proper air circulation.
* To carry it, make sure the computer is shut down before placing it in a well-padded, shock-absorbent case. Avoid storing it in a hot car or in front of a heater vent or other high-temperature area.
* Avoid getting your computer or battery wet. While they may dry and appear to operate normally, the circuitry could slowly corrode and pose a safety hazard.
* Don't ignore recall notices. If your computer maker issues a recall on the machine or battery, heed the manufacturer's advice.
* Finally, back it up! Download the important files into an external hard drive or other outside storage on a regular basis. If your computer is lost, stolen or badly damaged, your precious files will be safe!
Taking these common-sense precautions will help protect you and your portable computer!
Remember the BBB has reports on thousands of companies. Before you buy, check out the seller at www.bbbmd.org or call us 24 hours a day at (410) 347-3992 to learn if others have filed complaints.
To file a complaint visit: www.baltimore.bbb.org or write: BBB, 1414 Key Highway, #100, Baltimore MD 21230. Their office serves Baltimore and all of Greater Maryland.