Historic Places in Berkeley County

Historic Places in Berkeley County

There are several historic sites in Berkeley County. Below are just a few wonderful places to visit.
Morgan Acres- William G. Morgan House
This house was built in 1849 by William G. Morgan, who was a great grandson of Morgan Morgan. Near the present house is the site of Col. Morgan Morgan's first crude building and the site of the log home of his son, Morgan Morgan II, who was associated with the Morgan Chapel. Traditionally, Mrs. Morgan designed this long floor plan so she could see in the parlor mirrors her servants at work in the kitchen.
Henry Sherrard Mill
This mill was built by Henry Sherrard in 1790. In 1809 it was sold to Robert Daniels, Sr., and remained in the family until 1869. In 1844, Harriet Daniels, daughter of Robert Daniels, Jr., married William Sherrard, a descendant of the builder. Both Confederate and Union armies camped at the mill during the Civil War. The mill was converted to a dwelling in 1935.
Mountain View- Washington Gold House & Rippy Cabin
Washington Gold built the brick house in 1854. This is a significant example of Greek revival architecture. This property remained in the Gold family until 1900. Rippy Cabin is a 1 1/2-story log cabin, with the single all-purpose room on the first floor and a 1/2-story loft. All the logs and joists were hand hewn. The cabin dates to the mid-18th century. The cabin served as an early home for the Rippy family.
James Nathaniel Burwell House
This house is significant for its historical association with the Burwell family and for being an excellent example of late Federal rural domestic architecture. It was built in 1842 by James Nathaniel Burwell. There was a Civil War skirmish around the house. A cannon ball and bullets were dug out of the west wall, and a bayonet was found in the basement, and a Union officer's belt buckle was found in the front yard.
Oban Hall- Mary Park Wilson House
This house was built in 1825 by William Wilson, a very prominent merchant of the Gerrardstown area. This house is architecturally significant as a classical example of rural American Federal architecture.
"Fort Hedges"- Hedges-Leman House
Built in 1748 by Joshua Hedges, Fort Hill is a two-story stone dwelling originally surrounded by a stockade. Fort Hill became a stopping place for travelers. George and Martha Washington and Patsy Custis lodged with Joshua Hedges on August 5, 1769, and again on the return from the Springs in Berkeley Springs on September 9, 1769. This is one of the only two existing houses in Berkeley County that Washington referred to in his diaries.
Teter M. French House
This house was built in 1860, and is significant for its scenic view as well as for the amount of original material, which has survived. It is a Greek Revival style with accents of early Victorian details.
Maidstone Manor- William Robinson Leigh House
This house is significant because it was the early home of William Robinson Leigh, a famous Western scenic artist. Built in 1848 by William Leigh, the house has a further significance for its outstanding architectural type. Born here on September 23, 1866, William was a double grandson of Rawleigh Colston and Elizabeth Marshall Colston, sister of Chief Justice John Marshall.