Driving Tour in Fulton County
Driving Tour in Fulton County
In 1793, a man named Francis Asbury began Methodist services for the people of Green Hill and the surrounding area. The church was built in 1841 from stones and lumber from Sideling Hill Mountain. You can still view the original pews, pulpit and Deacon's bench. Asbury Church is located on Route 30 approximately 8 miles west of McConnellsburg.
Burnt Cabins is a linear village along the Forbes Roads. With its location at the foot of Tuscarora Mountain, Burnt Cabins became an important stopping place and several of the buildings in the village served as inns or taverns for 18th or 19th century travelers. Integral to the village was the Burnt Cabins Grist Mill. Other historic resources in the village are for the most part houses. Most are log or light from construction. There are also a few stone and brick buildings. Dates of construction range from the late 18th century through approximately 1945.
Cowans Gap State Park
Nestled in a hollow east of Tuscarora Mountain in Fulton County's northeast corner, Cowans Gap received its name from Major John and Mary Cowan who swapped their wagon and horses for 100 acres in this valley from a Tuscarora Indian chief. The chief made a covenant to be at peace with the Cowan family forever. In 1908 the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania purchased a huge tract of land that included the Cowan property. The 1,085-acre park and 42-acre lake, constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps, offers swimming, picnicking, hiking, fishing and boating (non-gasoline powered boats only) with campsites and cabins available. Ranger programs are open to the public.
The village of Fort Littleton lies one mile north of Exit 13 of the Pennsylvania Turnpike and 10 miles north of McConnellsburg along Route 522. Governor Robert Hunter Morris established the fort in 1756 at what was then known as Sugar Cabins, named after the existing settlement of log cabins located in a grove of sugar maple trees.
Fulton County Courthouse
Located on the "square" at West Market and North Second Streets in McConnellsburg, construction began in 1851, one year after Fulton County was formed. The building was designed by Jacob Stoner and later renovated in the 1960s. Its original kerosene chandelier now hangs in the Fulton House. Across the square is the quaint one-room Wible Law Office, restored to its 1880's splendor.
This small village at the intersection of Routes 30 and 655 was named after William Henry Harrison. Located as a stopping point along the Lincoln Highway, a small country store is still serves travelers today. In the 1850's it enjoyed two stores, a schoolhouse, one hotel, a blacksmith shop, and seven residents.
Knobsville & the Narrows
The Narrows Road east of Knobsville was once the main road from McConnellsburg to Burnt Cabins. It represents a narrowing in the mountains, and Knobsville is defined by the "knobby" ridge standing over the village.
Meadow Grounds Lake
A few miles southwest of McConnellsburg, the 208-acre site is operated by the Pennsylvania Fish & Game Commission. Open for hunting, fishing, boating (non-gasoline powered boats only) and hiking. Among the state's unspoiled lakes, a handicapped accessible fishing pier is available along with a boat launching ramp.
Hiking is popular here. One well-liked hike is from the dam breast south on Jarrett Trail to a cascading waterfall, but it can be challenging in places.
When a new post office was being built and an official name was requested, Daniel Bishop was so pleased this community was getting this government service, he was said to exclaim, "We need more houses, need more stores," so the name Needmore was used.
Rosebud Valley Nature Center
Located along Route 928 one mile south of Big Cove Tannery, this site was originally the property of amateur naturalist and lawyer Edmund Kerper. Kerper created this sanctuary early in the 20th century for song birds and, each spring, planted trees, flowers and flowering shrubs, thus creating a botanical garden and arboretum. It is about 40 acres and managed by the Pennsylvania Bureau of Forestry as part of Buchanan State Forest.
This 252-mile hiking trail runs from Marysville PA south to Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. It enters Buchanan State Forest near Spring Run, travels southwest along the top of Tuscarora Mountain, descends into Allen's Valley and Cowans Gap State Park, and follows part of the colonial era Forbes Road trail. Ascending to the summit of Tuscarora Mountain again, the blue-blazed trail follows the mountain top across Routes 30 and 16, then along the mountain through state game and forest lands into Maryland. It was originally planned as an alternate section of the Appalachian Trail because of right-of-way threats.
Four miles south of McConnellsburg along Route 522, Civil War veterans are interred in this historic cemetery on the west side.