Music in Your Community (February 06)
Music in Your Community
The importance of music is its power to transcend time, emotion, culture, and language as we connect with others. Like food and water, music has nourished man for generations--often bringing tears to our eyes. Music's power connects us across the barriers of time, culture, and language.
Here's a list of "Music in Your Community" for this month...
* Port City Java, featuring professional quality entertainers from the tri-state area. Jazz, folk, blues, and acoustic rock. February 10, 2006, Friday's 7:30-10:00PM. Long Meadow Shopping Center, Hagerstown. 301-790-5040.
* Maryland Symphony Orchestra's MasterWorks III. Birthday toast to Mozart featuring Beverly Butts on February 11 and February 12 at 8:00pm and 3:00pm at the Maryland Theatre. Call 301-733-7842 for more information.
* The National Christian Choir. They've performed in all the major concert venues in Washington DC including The Kennedy Center, Constitution Hall, and The National Cathedral. They will grace the stage at The Capitol Theatre Center in Chambersburg, PA on February 11 at 3:30pm and 7:30pm. For more information call The Capitol Theatre Center (159 South Main Street) Box Office for tickets @ 717-263-0202 Monday-Friday.
* Shepherd University Faculty Jazz Trio. As described by pianist Mark Cook, drummer Frank Russo, and bassist Tom Williams, the jazz performer interprets music in a fundamental way, using a very basic set of information, a loose interpretation of the melody and highly variable chord progress, thereby making the original composition more of a personal testament. February 19 at 2:30pm at the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, City Park, Hagerstown.
* The Pied Pipers at the Maryland Theatre. February 23 at 7:30pm. Call 301-790-2000 or go online www.mdtheatre.org
Be sure to check out area elementary, middle, and high schools for great family music programs including high school competitions and performances.