Get Personal for the Perfect Gift
Get Personal for the Perfect Gift
(ARA)- Just the right gift, just the right feeling, just in time for the holidays! You can make just about any gift special by personalizing it with the recipient's name, monogram, or embroidering a phrase or sentiment that has special meaning. It's an easy way to give any gift that personal touch.
Personalized gifts don't have to be made from scratch. You can take something generic and add a special touch to customize it. Using a sewing machine to do the embellishing makes it even quicker and easier. Here are some ideas from the experts at Bernina to get you started. Use them for inspiration and as a starting point to get your own creative juices flowing.
* You can "thread paint" or use embroidery to personalize a pair of jeans for your daughter or some other lucky girl on your list. Use metallic thread and Glitz crystals to make it really sparkle. Or if she loves dogs or horses, you can embroider that on the back of a jacket.
Bernina's aurora 440 makes thread painting easy. It features the Bernina Stitch Regulator, (BSR) with a sensor that "reads" the fabric. When the fabric moves, the foot sensor is activated and the stitches are regular and consistent. This allows the sewer to draw, "thread paint," or just write their name across a piece of fabric with ease. This embroidery machine comes with Editor Lite software, which allows you to create and edit designs on your own PC screen; the software includes five alphabets and 65 designs.
* Buy a set of cloth napkins, kitchen towels or handkerchiefs and monogram them. For cocktail napkins, add a martini glass. Fruits and vegetables are perfect for the kitchen.
* Buy a canvas tote and embroider it to reflect the hobby of the recipient. For example, if your sister loves to garden, embellish the tote with herbs or flowers (and her name), and fill it with seeds, gardening gloves, a gardener's diary and other thoughtful and useful goodies. You can do similar totes for people who knit, sew, cook--the possibilities are endless.
* You can personalize all fabric gift bags, including those meant for wine bottles. This makes a great addition to any host or hostess gift.
If you are willing to invest a little sewing time, here are a few simple gifts to make from scratch.
* A table runner is an easy project that you can add holiday glamour and sparkle to. Drop the feed dogs on your machine and show off your specialty threads with freemotion stitching. Stitch out names on matching place cards or napkin holders for a lovely gift set.
* Make a pillow, a throw, or if you're really ambitious, a small quilt or wall hanging, using colors that you know they will love, or better yet, using fabrics that have sentimental value.
* Sew a special ornament for everyone on your list: a football embroidered with his name for your nephew or a soccer ball for your niece. Another nice idea is to make a picture frame ornament and include a photo. For example, you could embroider a picture frame ornament with "baby's first Christmas" and add the baby's photo.
* Make a pillow unique by turning it into a photo frame. Sew a simple pillow and add a clear pocket for inserting a special family photo from summer vacation or the last family reunion. Better yet transfer your photos onto special fabric and sew your friends and family into your gifts.
None of these gifts cost a lot to make, and most of them take very little time. Yet they will certainly be the most popular gifts because they show you care!
For more information on the Bernina aurora 440 or for project ideas, visit www.berninausa.com.
Courtesy of ARA Content