Tips for driving smarter
Tips for driving smarter
(NAPS)-Recently, the White House announced an increase in fuel economy standards that would require passenger vehicles and light trucks to average 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025. While this will go a long way to stretch fuel and our natural energy resources in the future, there are actions you can take today to help increase fuel efficiency.
John and Helen Taylor, known as the world's most fuel-efficient couple and holding 88 world records, know about stretching the boundaries of fuel efficiency. To demonstrate how you can reduce your fuel consumption and lower the price you pay at the pump, Shell and the Taylors are teaming up to introduce the Smarter Driving program by driving across 48 states, using the least amount of fuel in an unmodified, nonhybrid vehicle.
As official spokespeople for Shell, the Taylors agree that by following the Shell M.A.P. to Smarter Driving, you can become more fuel efficient and save money with this simple plan:
* Maintenance: Perform smart maintenance before you drive:
* Make sure your tires are not over- or underinflated: Keeping tires at the correct pressure can improve your gasoline mileage by more than 3 percent.
* Keep your engine well tuned and repair problems immediately: Tuning up your vehicle or checking emissions could improve your gasoline mileage by 4 percent on average.
* Actions: Practice smart actions and behaviors while you're behind the wheel:
* Avoid the highs and find the lows: Speeding, rapid acceleration and braking can lower gasoline mileage by up to 33 percent at highway speeds.
* Products: Purchase smart products at the right price without sacrificing quality:
* Choose a high-quality gasoline: Lower-quality gasolines can leave performance-robbing "gunk" on intake valves and fuel injectors. Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines help clean up gunk so your engine can perform at its best.
* Use a loyalty or rewards payment card to save at the pump: The Taylors suggest stretching your budget. Shell has teamed up with leading grocers in more than 110 markets across the U.S. where you can earn rewards for using your existing supermarket loyalty card and then redeeming the points at participating Shell stations. Another option is to use a Shell payment card that saves you money at more than 14,000 Shell stations across the U.S.
Smarter Driving can help consumers stretch their budget while helping to protect their vehicle. To test your Smarter Driving IQ and for a chance to win great prizes, visit www.Shell.us/smarterdriving or find Shell on Facebook.