(NAPSI)-Be sure to have your vehicle checked out before heading out on your next road trip, advise the experts at the non-profit National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE), the group that tests and certifies automotive technicians. Here are hints on how:
* Flush and refill the cooling system (radiator) according to the service manual's recommendations and safety warnings.
* Have drivability problems-hard starts, rough idling, stalling-corrected for better gas mileage and peace of mind.
* Have a marginally operating air-conditioner system serviced.
* Change the oil and oil filter as specified in the owner's manual.
* Replace other filters (air, fuel, PCV, etc.) as recommended.
* Check the condition of tires, including the spare. Let tires "cool down" before checking air pressure.
* Inspect all lights and bulbs; replace burned-out bulbs.
* Replace worn wiper blades and top off the washer fluid to fight summer's dust and insects.
* If you're not a do-it-yourselfer, look for repair facilities that employ ASE-certified technicians.
For more car care tips, visit ASE's website at www.ase.com.