National Bike Month
City of Hagerstown Advisory
National Bike Month
Hagerstown, MD (April 26, 2011) - With spring in the air, the City of Hagerstown and the League of American Bicyclists announce that May is National Bike Month. The City of Hagerstown's Bicycle Advisory Committee has planned a number of events to encourage individuals to try cycling for fun, fitness or transportation.
The list of events includes:
* "Bikes for the World" Collection Day, Donate your used bike - Saturday, April 30th, 9:00am - Noon, Otterbein United Methodist Church, 108 East Franklin Street
* Proclamation of Bicycle Month, Tuesday - May 3rd, 4:00pm, Mayor & Council Chambers, City Hall
* Ride with the Mayor" on "Hub City Bike Loop" - Saturday, May 7th, 9:00am, Fairgrounds Park, Meet at Lot B, sponsored by CVCC (Please note Helmet and signed release required to participate in ride.)
* Ride Your Bike to the Suns Game, First 30 bicycle riders get in free - Sunday, May 8th, 1:00pm
* "Hub City Bike Loop" Ride* sponsored by CVCC - Saturday, May 14th, 9:00am Hub City Cycles Bicycle Shop, Corner of Franklin Street/Prospect Street
* National "Bike to Work" Week - Monday - Friday, May 16th - May 20th, Visit www.biketoworkinfo.org for resources
* Unveiling of "Bike Mural" North Potomac Street Parking Deck Painted by BISFA students - Tuesday, May 17th, 3:00pm
* "Ride of Silence" on "Hub City Bike Loop" sponsored by CVCC - Wednesday, May 18th, Fairgrounds Park, 7:00pm, Meet at Lot B (Please note Helmet and signed release required to participate in ride.)
* National "Bike to Work" Day - Friday, May 20th, Visit www.biketoworkinfo.org for resources
* "Hub City Bike Loop" Ride sponsored by CVCC - Saturday, May 21st, Hub City Cycles Bicycle Shop, 9:00am, Corner of Franklin Street/Prospect Street (Please note Helmet and signed release required to participate in ride.)
* "Hub City Bike Loop" Ride sponsored by CVCC, Saturday, May 28th, Hub City Cycles Bicycle Shop, 9:00am, Corner of Franklin Street/Prospect Street
"Hagerstown's Bicycle Advisory Committee was created to promote bicycling in our community, coordinate with other agencies to provide bicycling education, raise awareness through coordinated events, and improve the public awareness of bicycle riding options," Chairman of Hagerstown's Bicycle Advisory Committee Michael Mittel stated. "I am very proud that we were able to put this schedule of events together for Bike Month. These events will raise awareness of the benefits of bicycling while simultaneously allowing individuals to enjoy a number of beautiful venues in Hagerstown without having to pay for gasoline."
Mr. Mittel went on to say that Hagerstown's Bicycle Advisory Committee encourages everyone to participate.
Following are some tips that will help individuals enjoy biking.
* Have your bike checked by your local bike shop
* Always wear a helmet to protect your head in the event of a crash
* Ride in the right-most lane that goes in the direction that you are traveling
* Obey all stop signs, traffic lights and lane markings
* Look before you change lanes or signal a turn; indicate your intention, then act
* Be visible and predictable at all times; wear bright clothing and signal turns.
Individuals that have questions regarding the City of Hagerstown's National Bike Month activities should call 301-739-8577 ext. 125 for more information.