Editorial: Welcome Spring
It is impossible not to note the beautiful, refreshing days of spring in Washington County, Maryland. By the time spring comes along, we're all itching to get outside!
One of the wonderful things about Washington County is that there are an abundance of places to visit.
The longer daylight hours, pleasant temperatures, sprouting of plants and flowers, and the chirping of colorful birds announce a time of renewal.
Soon the plants and flowers will start to break their way through the dirt, filling our yards and spirits with brightness.
Spring weather wakes us from our winter dormancy and causes us to get out and have some fun. While the trees are bare, we can see the beautiful blooming dogwood trees and wildflowers stretching across open fields. The brisk wind draws us to the park for kite-flying. The warm sun welcomes us into the garden and workshop for outdoor projects.
Spring fills us with energy. It is inspirational, rejuvenating, and encouraging.
In this year's Picket News Spring Tourism Guide readers will find history in the making, shopping, theatre, music, student-ran programs and events, beautiful spots to hike and take in nature and wildlife, places to take the family, baseball games and racecar races to attend, places to learn about agriculture and more.
* Take a nature walk in the park or woods. Collect leaves, rocks, and flowers to decorate your family dining room table.
* Go fishing- Catch a big one for dinner or throw them all back. Either way it's fun times for families and couples.
* Spend one full day buzzing from yard sale to yard sale or flea market to flea market, picking up new treasures.
* Now is a great time to start thinking about gardening. Include your children and grandchildren for this. It's therapeutic. It's a great learning experience. In addition, it will be one of those family memories that you and your child or grandchild will always hold dear.
* Take a hike and set up camp. The kids will love it. Build a campfire and make fairy houses. An evening outdoors with your family will do you all good.
* Get outside- Have an outside workday to get the yard in shape while discussing late spring/early summer renovations.
* Take an adventure walk through grottoes and caves, set for commercial use.
* Go bird-watching, rock climbing, or just walk the dog.
* Visit the Antietam Battlefield. Take your time. Read the markers and see the sights.
* Visit museums, walk downtown - explore.
* Stop by spring festivals where you can enjoy live music, eat boardwalk-style food, meet new people, and have a look at booths from local artisans.
* Go for a picnic. Pick fresh wildflowers and take plenty of snapshots.
No matter what tickles your fancy for a memorable, fun, and relaxing spring day - you're sure to find it in beautiful Washington County, Maryland.
Yours in Ink,
Jennifer Leese, Editor