Wisdom From a Furry Friend: Ramone Wants a Purr-Ever Home
Wisdom From a Furry Friend
Ramone Wants a Purr-Ever Home
Meow...I'm Ramone and I'm looking for my purr-ever home. I have soft grey fur that you'll love to pet and my yellow eyes are quite mesmerizing. I'm quite the gentleman and handsome to boot!
I really would like to find a family to love. I like to play and am very friendly. I also enjoy naps...lying in the sunshine is the best!
Speaking of sunshine, with all the warm weather we've been having, you may be spending a lot of time outdoors with your furry companions. But we're not the only ones who enjoy the balmy temperatures, fleas and ticks will also come creeping out of their crevices and try to make a new home for themselves on us!
This is not good...fleas can cause permanent hair loss from constant scratching, anemia, skin problems, and flea allergy dermatitis, which is a reaction to the protein in a flea's saliva. They also carry tapeworms and transmit infections like Bartonella. Ticks can pass along Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and ehrlichiosis, a bacterial infection with flu like symptoms. You can also contract the same diseases, so it's very important to control these little critters.
To prevent problems follow these tips:
* Comb us furry guys regularly with a flea comb, readily available at most pet stores
* Vacuum your home frequently and dispose of the debris immediately outside of your home
* Keep your lawn well-mowed, especially in your dog's favorite spots!
* Wash pet bedding weekly and give your pet frequent baths with pesticide-free pet shampoo...we'll also smell better!
* We kitties should be kept indoors to protect us from not only fleas and ticks, but other hazards
* Purchase a flea/tick killer for outdoor use and treat the grass and soil around your home and where your dog plays
Many pet owners use monthly flea and tick treatments that are applied to their pet's skin. Some products can be unsafe for your pets; you should only use products available through your vet or online sites that require a prescription. Most brands available at places other than your veterinarian's office contain ingredients that have been linked to illness, seizures, and even death. Always consult your vet before buying or using any flea and tick product on your pet.
Here are some basic safety tips to remember:
* Never use a product made for dogs on your cat and vice versa
* Buy products made specifically for your pet's size and weight
* Do not apply to pregnant, sick, elderly, or very young animals
* Always read the instructions carefully, looking at ingredients list and warnings too
Here's to fun days spent frolicking in the outdoors! And remember to come visit me and my friends at the Humane Society of Washington County; wouldn't you love to come home to a sweet face like mine?
The Humane Society of Washington County is located at 13011 Maugansville Road in Hagerstown www.hswcmd.org. Ph: 301-733-2060. Fax: 301-733-0248.