What to See in Pennsylvania
What to See in Pennsylvania
Shawnee State Park: This 3,800-acre park was named after the Shawnee Indians and offers plenty to do such as a 451-acre lake, 335 campsites, fishing, swimming, boating, hiking, hunting, snowmobiling, and picnicking areas. The park is open year round and is located west of Bedford on U.S. 30.
(PIC)Epsy House: The house was built in 1771 and served as Washington's Headquarters in the fall of 1794 during the Whiskey Rebellion. The only remaining building in existence on its original site, occupied by General Arthur St. Clair, president of the Continental Congress and first Governor of the Northwest Territory.
Anderson House: Dr. John Anderson built the house in 1814, using a portion for an office and in 1815 converted half of the house into a bank, whose original vault can still be viewed. The Chamber of Commerce now occupies part of the house, which is located at 137 Pitt Street, Bedford. Call 800-765-3331 x220 for more information.
Burnt Cabins Grist Mill: The grist mill is one of the oldest mills in the county dating back to 1750. It is the only grist mill still operated by a waterpowered overshot wooden water wheel.
Cowans Gap State Park: With over 1,300 acres, which includes a 420-acre lake for swimming, fishing, and boating, 232 campsites, 10 rental cabins, and scores of private cabins, Cowans Gap State Park is a great place to go. It is located 9 miles northeast of McConnellsburg.
Mason-Dixon Crownstone Marker: Charles mason and Jeremiah Dixon surveyed and marked the line between Maryland and Pennsylvania in 1765. They placed stone markers at one-mile intervals, with every fifth mile marked by a Crown-Stone. This 105th milestone, is one of the few remaining.
Robert Kennedy Memorial Presbyterian Church: Organized in 1741 at Welsh Run, southeast of Mercersburg on Route 416, the church is one of the oldest churches in the Cumberland Valley.
(PIC)Brown's Mill Graveyard: The Brown's Mill Graveyard contains the graves of many early settlers. Recognized as an historic cemetery and the final resting place of seventeen Revolutionary War veterans, the Franklin County Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution erected a memorial to these soldiers in 1935. Among the burial sites is the grave of Major General James Potter, one of three generals from Pennsylvania to be accorded this rank in the War for Independence. James Potter's memory was perpetuated by the Commonwealth when Potter County was created on March 26, 1804. James McLene, a member of the Continental Congress and political leader in state government during the Revolution and for a decade following the war, is also buried in the graveyard.
Brown's Mill School: For eighty-five years this stone structure served as an educational institution and community center for the Brown's Mill area. Evening singing schools, debates, and spelling bees were held during each school year and one report tells of as many as a hundred sleighs bringing people on a winter night, to take part in a social event at the school. In 1789, the original school, a small log structure, was constructed southeast of this site and was eventually replaced by a newer building. The school is located just north of Greencastle, east of U.S. 11.
Toll Gate House: The house, located at 323 E. Main Street, Waynesboro, was built between 1844 and 1853. It now serves as the office for the Franklin County Chapter of the American Red Cross.
Oller House: Located at 138 W. Main Street, Waynesboro, the Queen Anne-style home was donated by industralist J.F. Oller Family and currently houses the Waynesboro Historical Society and area genealogy library. To find out more call 717-762-1747.
Fulton House: The house is a former stagecoach inn, c. 1793, restored in 1976. Today it houses offices of the borough of McConnellsburg and the Fulton Co. Historical Society and is open for special events or by appointment. To contact the Fulton House call 717-485-3172.
A.T.H. & L. Museum: With approximately 150 pieces of Fire Company memorabilia dating back to 1880, the Museum has much to see. The Museum is located on S. Potomac Street in Waynesboro and is free to tour.