Tips for a Caregiver: How to Encourage Your Loved One to Attend the First Days
Tips for a Caregiver:
How to Encourage Your Loved One to Attend the First Days
1. If your loved one becomes anxious about attending an adult day program, do not discuss the visit ahead of time. An explanation at the program will be more beneficial.
2. Explain to your loved one that the doctor has suggested the use of a adult day center.
3. Highlight the social aspects (games, entertainment) and downplay the care aspects (toileting, feeding) of the center.
4. Discuss the productive aspects of the activities at the center. Persuade your loved one to attend a town meeting or an outing.
5. Encourage the participant to just try it for one day.
If you are encountering some resistance, do NOT give your loved one a choice of not attending. Explain that this is something that must be done.
Put together by: Easter Seals Greater Washington-Baltimore Region