Wisdom from a Furry Friend: My name is Mower
Wisdom from a Furry Friend
My name is Mower
Hi. My name is Mower. I am a young cat that was dropped off at the Humane Society of Washington County one day and left on a bench in the fenced in area at the shelter. The people that left me put a cup full of food for me on the bench but they didn't tell me how to get off the bench so I started to cry. One of the landscapers found me and that is how I got my name. Neat, huh?
I am really sweet and very loving. Cuddling, playing and being with people are my favorite things. I am white with beautiful gray circle markings and a gray tail. I am quite adorable, or so everyone tells me. Don't I sound wonderful?
You know, the staff at the Humane Society is very concerned about the parvovirus that has come to the shelter. Most people call it parvo and it is really nasty. It can't hurt fellow cats, my people or me but it is very dangerous when dogs get it. It can be fatal. Isn't that awful? Parvo is transmitted through direct exposure to feces containing the virus or an object that has been affected. The disease can survive on inanimate objects such as clothing, food pans, affected outside kennels, so exposure to anything that has come in contact with the virus can potentially spread the disease.
The only way to kill the virus is to bleach everything that comes in contact with it. That means bedding, food bowels, and dishes and the flooring and walls where the affected dog has been must be bleached. The most susceptible to the disease are young dogs under 6 months old and older frail dogs that have compromised immune systems.
If you have a dog that experiences extreme diarrhea that is frequently bloody and very foul smelling, vomiting, lethargy and dehydration you need to contact your vet right away. They can do a test to determine whether the dog has the disease. If untreated, the disease is frequently fatal.
Parvo was brought to the shelter by dogs that were in the community. Those dogs were probably not inoculated against parvo. We aren't sure why they wouldn't be but maybe the economic downturn is causing people to skip inoculating their pets. Dr. Tracy Barlup of Longmeadow Animal Hospital said that vaccinations are as important as food, water and shelter and all pets need them. She suggested pet owners that need assistance with veterinary bills might want to contact CareCredit, a credit card company. You can find them on line at their website, CareCredit.com.
Remember that it is very important to make sure your pets are properly vaccinated. Please take care of us. We depend on you. And remember me, too. I would love to have my own family to depend on. Come see me. We may be perfect together.
The Humane Society of Washington County is located at 13011 Maugansville Road in Hagerstown www.hswcmd.org. Ph: 301-733-2060. Fax: 301-733-0248.