RECENT ARTICLES
    COMMUNITY CALENDAR
    BUSINESS DIRECTORY
    CLASSIFIED ADS
    PRESS RELEASES
    ARTICLE ARCHIVE
    HOME DELIVERY SUBSCRIPTION
    CONTACT US
    HOME
   
    PONY POSTAL CENTER
    REMEMBER WHEN ANTIQUES
    HAGERSTOWN AUCTIONS
   


 
 

Recent Articles >> Winter Tourism



Getting the most out of Washington County, Maryland, Two
12/1/2013

Getting the most out of Washington County, Maryland, Two

The McGraw-Shay House
The original stone structure was built circa 1754 with brick additions in 1803 and 1912. Further architectural modifications were made during the early 1900's. The house contains opulent period rooms which are authentically restored to their 1860s appearance and includes fine furnishings such Cornelius Astral lamps, Baltimore black marble and the ensemble of New York carved Meeks furniture. Also available is a collection of military memorabilia that includes all aspects of the soldier's life during the War of the Rebellion. House located on the square in Sharpsburg. Donations are accepted. Hours by appointment. Info: 301-432-6366.
Williamsport Town Museum
The Town Museum is dedicated to preserving and honoring Williamsport's Past, Present and Future. Exhibits include: The C&O Canal, Boom Days, The Coming of the Railroad, The Roads Run with Blood - Crossroads of War, Postwar Williamsport: A Time of Change, 20th Century Williamsport by way to Highway, A modern community develops, and Springfield Farm a constant witness to change.
Museum is located at 14 Springfield Farm Lane and has no admission. Info: 301-223-7711 or 301-223-5859
Geiser-Mason Farm Museum
Contains a 1901 wooden threshing machine built by Geiser Manufacturing in Waynesboro, PA. Peter Geiser was a resident of Smithsburg. Antique toy display, and other artifacts related to the history of the Smithsburg area are located in the "Old Library Building" on East Water Street. The museum is located behind Smithsburg Town Hall. Free admission. Hours are by appointment only and during special events. Info: 301-824-7154.
The George Alfred Townsend Museum & War Correspondents Arch at Gathland State Park
Gathland stands atop South Mountain at Crampton's Gap, one of three gaps involved in the Battle of South Mountain on September 14, 1862, three days before the fateful battle of Antietam. George Alfred Townsend, youngest Civil War Correspondent, author and columnist, built a unique estate on the site in the late 1800s and erected a large stone arch in memory of his fellow correspondents, artists and photographers. The museum chronicles Townsend's life and houses a collection of Civil War weaponry, replicas of Union and Confederate uniforms and other artifacts. The Appalachian Trail traverses the park. The museum is located at the junction of Gapland and Arnoldstown Roads, Burkittsville. There is no admission, and the park is open year round with the museum open weekends noon to 5PM spring, summer and fall. Info: 301-791-4767 (Greenbrier State Park); www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/gathland.asp.
Hagerstown Aviation Museum
The Hagerstown Aviation Museum is a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and promotion of the region's more than 90 years of extraordinary aviation history. Over the past five years the museum has had 16 aircraft donated, most of which were built in Hagerstown by Fairchild Aircraft. This collection can be viewed at various museum events throughout the year. Visit the museum website to view the aircraft collection and for upcoming event information. Info: 301-733-8717; www.hagerstownaviationmuseum.org.
Hagerstown Model Railroad Museum at Antietam Station
Antietam Station, built by the Norfolk and Western Railroad in 1911, is owned by the town of Sharpsburg and leased by the Hagerstown Model Railroad Museum. The station houses railroad artifacts and model railroad layouts of various scales. They are located at 17230 Shepherdstown Pike, Sharpsburg and hours vary, so check website. There is no admission fee. Info: www.antietamstation.com.
Hagerstown Railroad Museum - City Park
Engine 202 was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1912 and carried baggage, mail, and passengers from Baltimore to Hagerstown. The steam locomotive was retired in 1953 and moved to City Park. Eight cabooses and other railroad memorabilia are also displayed here. It is the only Western Maryland Railroad steam locomotive in existence. An on-site museum features Western Maryland artifacts. The museum is located at Highland Way, opposite the Mansion House Arts Center. Hours are from May to October Thurs-Sat 10AM-4PM and Sun 1-5PM with no admission fee. Info: 301-733-8393.
Hagerstown's Historic City Farmers' Market
Visit the oldest continuously operating farmers' market in Maryland. City Farmers' Market vendors offer fresh produce, delicious baked goods and candles, creative crafts, local art, and photo work, specially designed jewelry and fresh meals for both breakfast and lunch. There are special promotions and events throughout each month. The market is located at 25 W. Church Street, Hagerstown, and is open every Sat 5AM-Noon. Info: 301-739-8577 x190; www.hagerstownmarket.org.
Hancock Museum and Visitor's Center
The center provides travel and tourism information, houses the Hancock Historical Society's Museum collection, and is home to the former Sideling Hill Exhibit featuring geological information about the unique cut in the mountain, along with Western Maryland wildlife. Stop by and see what makes the narrowest part of Maryland so appealing! Center is located at 42 W. Main Street, Hancock. Hours: M, T, Th, F 10AM-4PM, Sat 10AM-3PM and Sun Noon-3PM. Info: 301-678-6236.

This information was provided through the Hagerstown/Washington County Convention and Visitor's Bureau - www.marylandmemories.com and their Museums & Historical Sites Guide.

Printable version

<< back to Articles on Winter Tourism
<< back to All Articles

All photos are property of Picket News