Article Archive >> Good Health
Get Up, Get Out, Get In Shape
Get Up, Get Out, Get In Shape
(NAPSI)- Whether your family is working off the holiday overindulgence, turning over a new leaf for the New Year, preparing for swimsuit season or just interested in leading a healthier lifestyle, it's never been a better time to revitalize your family's workout routine. Fitting in an exercise plan doesn't have to be a chore for you or your kids. Here are a few tips to prevent a sedentary lifestyle:
* Be realistic and consistent. It's great to be enthusiastic about your workout, but if you don't set obtainable goals for yourself, it will be harder to remain committed to your routine. Look at your schedule and establish an exercise routine that will fit into your lifestyle. Consistency is key. Working out at least three times a week will help ensure that exercise is part of your routine.
* Rethink your home workout. You don't need a lot of bulky exercise equipment to have an effective workout at home. Tired of the same old workout videos? Netflix (www.netflix.com), the world's largest online movie rental service, is a great source to rent exercise DVDs. With more than 150 fitness titles, Netflix can help keep your home workout interesting and effective.
* Join a team. Being a part of a team sport will help your kids bolster confidence, improve hand-eye coordination and develop team working skills. Research has shown that obesity in youth leads to increased health problems down the road, so establish an active lifestyle as early as possible.
* Eat nutritious meals. It's never a good idea to skip a meal, especially when you are exercising regularly. It's important to keep your body nourished and hydrated throughout the day. Moderation is the key. Keep a daily diary of what you consume to help control portions and reduce snacking.
* Make it family time. One of the best ways to keep you and your kids motivated to exercise is to include active and enjoyable family adventures in your daily life. Play soccer, run races, go sledding or skating, bicycle, play games or go swimming. The most important part is to help your child find activities that are fun.
* Catch up on TV. Feel like you're missing out on your favorite TV show while you're exercising? With Netflix, you can catch up with favorite shows, from "24" to "Six Feet Under" to "The West Wing." You can even revisit old friends, such as "Seinfeld," "Sex and the City" and "Friends." With nearly 1,500 television DVDs, you'll never be bored on the treadmill again! For children, Netflix has more than 1,700 kid- and family-friendly DVDs.
Exercising regularly and eating healthy meals will help your family have more energy to tackle all the other aspects of your lives. You'll also notice that staying fit and healthy will give you greater self-confidence.
Watching favorite TV shows on DVD while exercising can help make workouts more enjoyable.
<< back to Articles on Good Health
<< back to All Articles