Article Archive >> Community

Wisdom From a Furry Friend: Mack, A Mighty Nice Dog

Wisdom From a Furry Friend
Mack, A Mighty Nice Dog

Good morning. My name is Mack and I live at the Humane Society of Washington County until my forever family sees me and takes me home. I came to the live here when someone dropped me off because I was wandering the streets. I am a shepherd collie mix and I have heard a lot of people say how beautiful I am. I have a beautiful coat that is black with spots of brown and I have heard a number of people say I have a very sweet expression. I sure would like to have a family to go home to with people who would love me and take me for walks and play with me. Maybe you can let my family know I am waiting for them.
I know the weather has gotten very cold outside and there is something called ice on the ground. When ice forms it makes it difficult for people and dogs to get around and many people put ice melt on the sidewalks, roadways and driveways. Ice melts come in both liquid and solid forms but we most commonly see the solid pellets being used. This helps get rid of the ice but it can also cause problems for animals.
When an animal's paw is exposed to common ice melt it can cause skin irritation. To make it feel better animals will put their paw into their mouth and then the dangerous ingredients, such as calcium chloride and sodium chloride (table salt) are ingested by the animal. The side effects from swallowing ice melt can range from drooling and vomiting to a drop in blood pressure and in some cases, death.
To avoid a potential life threatening reaction to ice melt I suggest you get a pet friendly ice melt. This product is available in many pet stores, veterinarian's offices and on line. It sure would put all of our minds at ease to know something we are walking through won't hurt us.
And remember to keep antifreeze, and all household chemicals out of the reach of animals and children. Commonly used anti-freeze helps keep our automobile engines running during cold weather but it is also a deadly poison with a sweet taste that may attract animals and children. Be sure to wipe up spills and store anti-freeze, and all household chemicals, out of reach. If you want to reduce the risk of harming your pet with an accidental spill of antifreeze-coolant use a product made with propylene glycol. If this is swallowed in small amounts, it will not hurt pets, wildlife, or your family. If you think your pet has been poisoned, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center's 24-hour emergency hotline at 1-888-426-4435. There will be a charge to your credit card per case.
Please have a safe and happy winter by watching out for potential problems associated with the extreme weather. That includes keeping your pets warm and safe inside while the extreme weather conditions persist.

The Humane Society of Washington County exists to improve the quality of life for all animals. Through education, legislation, action and leadership, we strive to eliminate overpopulation and to foster an environment of respect, responsibility and compassion. 301-733-2060.

Printable version

<< back to Articles on Community
<< back to All Articles