Article Archive >> Community
A Community in Bloom
A Community in Bloom
North Hagerstown High School Spring Garden Tour 2006 is scheduled for May 21, 2006 from Noon 'til 5:00PM. Enjoy an unhurried Sunday afternoon of spring splendor in and around Hagerstown. Renew your creative wellspring by touring nine outstanding private and public gardens in Fountainhead and the Chewsville area. The tours are interpretive tours, so you will receive how-to tips offered by the gardeners themselves.
Included in the tour cost is "Afternoon Tea in the Gardens" with delicious teas, homemade cookies, and tasty finger sandwiches at Hagerstown Community College (HCC). In addition, fun displays and pamphlets on interesting gardening topics and manageable gardening projects will be provided by our local Extension Service Agent. A representative of the HCC Garden Club will field questions you may have about gardening.
Continue your tour in Hagerstown's North End on Fountainhead Road with lovely landscaping and porch displays.
Tickets are $10 and may be purchased the day of the tour at all tour locations. The tour is self-paced, so start the tour wherever you like, and as you journey between Chewsville and Hagerstown be sure to stop by HCC for refreshment.
In the event of heavy rainfall, the tour will be cancelled. Wear comfortable shoes; avoid high or spiked heels as these ruin yards. This event observes garden tour etiquette in respect to the gardeners and their private properties. Picking flowers, smoking, and pets are prohibited on tour locations. Courteous and considerate parking in neighborhoods is a must. Public restrooms are available at HCC.
Driving Directions to Tour locations (suggested route):
* Hagerstown Community College (HCC)- 11400 Robinwood Drive, Hagerstown. From I-70, take exit 32 B onto Route 40. Turn right at first light onto Edgewood Drive, which becomes Robinwood Drive. At the third traffic light, turn left onto Academic Drive to enter the HCC Campus. Continue straight on Academic Drive to the first parking lot.
* Valerio-Hutzell- 21207 Twin Springs Drive, Chewsville. From HCC, turn left onto Robinwood Drive. At next light turn right onto Jefferson Blvd (MD 64) towards Smithsburg. Make a left onto Whitehall Road Extended. Turn right onto Twin Springs Drive. Look for tour sign.
North Hagerstown/Fountainhead area:
To travel to the North Hagerstown Portion of the tour from Chewsville or HCC, follow Route 64/Jefferson Blvd toward Hagerstown. Turn right on Eastern Blvd, which becomes Northern Avenue. After passing McDonald's, turn right onto Fountain Head Road at the light.
* Weeks- 12810 Fountain Head Road. Turn onto Fountain Head Road from Northern Avenue. Look for tour sign on left.
* Groh- 13112 Fountain Head Road. Continue past the Weeks home on Fountain Head Road. Look for tour sign. To exit Fountain Head, follow Fountain Head loop. Turn right on Club Road. Turn right at light onto Pennsylvania Avenue.
* Hubbell- 18709 Dover Drive. Take Pennsylvania Avenue (Route 11 North) to North Point Road (Spichers' store on right). Turn right onto North Point Drive. Make a right onto Arbor Drive. Drive to the end of Arbor and make a right onto Dover Drive. Look for tour sign.
* Heimer- 19107 Bonnie Briar Lane. Return to North Point Drive. Turn right onto North Point. Turn right onto Long Meadow Road. Turn Right onto Keener Road. Turn right onto Cherry Tree Drive. Turn Left onto Briar Cliff. Turn left onto Bonnie Briar. Look for tour sign.
* Metz- 980 Northern Avenue. From the Heimer home, return to Long Meadow Road. Exit left onto Long Meadow Road. Follow to light and turn left onto Pennsylvania Avenue. Follow Pennsylvania Avenue South. Make a left at Pennsylvania Avenue and Northern Avenue. Make a right into Fountaindale Elementary School's parking lot. Here, tour guides will help you safely access the crosswalk to tour the Metz garden on the corner of Pennsylvania and Northern.
For additional information, contact Brooke Allen at email@example.com or Teresa Schoeck at 301-797-2066.
<< back to Articles on Community
<< back to All Articles