Article Archive >> Community
Music in Your Community
Music in Your Community
The importance of music is its power to transcend time, emotion, culture, and language as we connect with others. Like food and water, music has nourished man for generations--often bringing tears to our eyes. Music's power connects us across the barriers of time, culture, and language.
Here's a list of "Music in Your Community" for this month...
* Van Looy Organ Series. Sunday, April 2. 3:00pm. Wilson College, Alumnae Chapel, Thomson Hall, Chambersburg, PA. Concert organist John Walker. Visit www.wilson.edu or call 717-262-2003 for more information.
* The Friends of the Shepherdstown Library (FOSL) will hold a music and poetry event the evening of Friday, April 7 to raise funds for the Library's programs. It will feature local musicians and poets showcasing their talents in a setting that recreates an intimate urban coffeehouse of the 1930s to 1960s. Tickets will be available at the Shepherdstown Public Library during regular library hours (304-876-2783). For more information contact FOSL board president Edwinna Bernat by telephone at 304-876-8444 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Maryland Symphony Orchestra's MasterWorks V. Sparkling season finale featuring Jennifer Frautschi on April 22 and April 23 at 8:00pm and 3:00pm at the Maryland Theatre. Call 301-733-7842 for more information.
* Festival of Four at the Maryland Theatre. April 26 at 7:30pm. Hagerstown Community Concert Festival of Four is a collaboration of instrumental styles and musical cultures. Since its inception in 1992, the ensemble has shared its artistry with national and international audiences' alike, receiving critical and popular acclaim for its striking blend of classical and ethnic music and imaginative arrangements of traditional repertoire. Call 301-790-2000 or go online www.mdtheatre.org
* Piano recital by Richard Syracuse, Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, City Park, Hagerstown, Md. April 27 at 3:00pm; reception to follow. Call 301-739-5727.
* Charlotte's Web, the Maryland Theatre, 21 S. Potomac St., Hagerstown, 10:00am on April 28. For tickets call Theatreworks, 1-800-497-5007.
Be sure to check out area elementary, middle, and high schools for great family music programs including high school competitions and performances.
<< back to Articles on Community
<< back to All Articles