Article Archive >> Community
Music in Your Community (January 06)
Music in Your Community
The importance of music is its power to transcend time, emotion, culture, and language as we connect with others. Like food and water, music has nourished man for generations--often bringing tears to our eyes. Music's power connects us across the barriers of time, culture, and language.
The bond of music unites us--sometimes highlighting our similarities, sometimes celebrating our differences.
Here's a list of "Music in Your Community" for this month...
* David A. Alberding comes to Frederick! On January 5, 2006 from 8-10PM at The Westside Cafă (1A W. 2nd Street, Frederick), join fellow music enthusiasts for a Songwriters Showcase featuring David A. Alberding, Hannah Bingman, and Karyn Oliver. For more information visit www.myspace.com/westsidecafe
Join David again on the 7th from 7:30-10PM at Port City Java (Longmeadow Shopping Center) in Hagerstown for fun, music, food, and drinks!
* The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber. Enjoy a fantastic evening of "The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber", with songs from Evita, Jesus Christ Superstar, the Phantom of the Opera and many more. January 14, 2006 at 8PM. Call The Capitol Theatre Center Box Office for tickets @ 717-263-0202 Monday-Friday 11AM-3PM. The Capitol Theatre Center is located at 159 South Main Street, Chambersburg, PA.
* Leon Cross Concert Series: Mark Steiner, Organist. This is the second concert of the Leon Cross Series. Mark Steiner, organist will present a concert at 3PM on January 22, 2006. Ticket prices are adults $5.00, students/seniors $3.00 and under 5 are free. To reserve tickets please call First Christian Church (1345 Potomac Ave., Hagerstown) at 301-733-0144.
* Washington County Museum Consort. Royalty has always been an inspiration for the creation of music. The monarchy has had a great influence on music through the ages and the program for this concert, entitled "Music and Royalty," will highlight works by composers who were benefactors of the nobility. January 22, 2:30PM at the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, City Park, Hagerstown.
* Gallery Quartet. Beginning its 29th year as the string quartet-in-residence, the Gallery Quartet will be joined by guest musicians Carl Banner, pianist, Barbara Spicher, flutist and Ed Stanley, oboist. The first part of the program will be in celebration of the 250th anniversary of the birth of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791); during the second part, the Quartet members will be joined by Carl Banner on piano for performance of "Piano Quartet, Op. 21" by the English composer Herbert Howells (1892-1983). January 29, 2:30PM at the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, City Park, Hagerstown.
Be sure to check out area elementary, middle, and high schools for great family music programs including high school competitions and performances.
<< back to Articles on Community
<< back to All Articles