RECENT ARTICLES
    COMMUNITY CALENDAR
    BUSINESS DIRECTORY
    CLASSIFIED ADS
    PRESS RELEASES
    ARTICLE ARCHIVE
    HOME DELIVERY SUBSCRIPTION
    CONTACT US
    HOME
   
    PONY POSTAL CENTER
    REMEMBER WHEN ANTIQUES
    HAGERSTOWN AUCTIONS
   


 
 

Article Archive >> Community

Keep Your Four-Legged Furry Friend Safe This Holiday Season

Keep Your Four-Legged Furry Friend Safe This Holiday Season

The holidays can be a wonderful time of year. But for our four-legged furry friends, all of the extra food, chocolate, decorations and flowers means even more for them to get their noses into, and some can be very dangerous to their health.
To keep pets happy and healthy during the holiday season, Dana Farbman from The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, is offering pet owners the following helpful hints.
Holiday sweets with chocolate are not for pets. Depending on the dose ingested, chocolate (bakers, semi sweet, milk and dark) can be potentially poisonous to many animals. Unsweetened baking chocolate contains almost seven times more theobromine as milk chocolate. Vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity and increased thirst, urination and heart rate can be seen with the ingestion of as little as 1/4 ounce of baking chocolate by a 10-pound dog.
* Keep your pet on its normal diet. Any change of diet, even for one meal, may give your dog or cat severe indigestion and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals that have more delicate digestive systems and nutritional requirements.
* Don't give pets holiday leftovers and keep pets out of the garbage. Poultry bones can splinter and cause blockages. Greasy, spicy and fatty foods can cause stomach upset; spoiled or moldy foods could cause food poisoning signs, tremors or seizures.
* Alcohol and pets do NOT mix. Place unattended alcoholic drinks where pets cannot reach them. If ingested, the animal could become very sick and weak and may go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.
* Keep aluminum foil and cellophane candy wrappers away from pets. They can cause vomiting and intestinal blockage.
* Be careful with holiday floral arrangements. Lilies are commonly used this time of year and all varieties, including Tiger, Asian, Japanese Show, Stargazer and Casa Blanca can cause kidney failure in cats. Safe alternatives can include artificial flowers made from silk or plastic.
* Common Yuletide plants such as mistletoe and holly berries can be potentially toxic to pets. Should a cat or dog eat mistletoe, they could possibly suffer gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. Holly can cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and lethargy if ingested.
* Poinsettias are considered to be very low in toxicity. However, they could cause mild vomiting or nausea if ingested by your pet.
* Keep pets away from Christmas tree water. The water may contain fertilizers, which if ingested, can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water can also act as a breeding ground for bacteria and if ingested a pet could end up with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
* Consider decorating your tree with ornaments that are relatively less enticing to pets. Traditional decorations such as ribbons or tinsel, if ingested can become lodged in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction. This is a very common problem, particularly with cats.

To reach the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, call 1-888-426-4435. For more information on the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center visit www.apcc.aspca.org.

Printable version

<< back to Articles on Community
<< back to All Articles