Article Archive >> Summer Tourism
The Fulton House ...Stagecoach Inn
The Fulton House
On November 29, 1815, Joseph Guthrie, son of William Guthrie, received from the estate of his father, a parcel of land containing 113 acres plus allowances. Joseph had the land surveyed. Soon after, the lot plans were laid out, forming the Town of Derry. Derry is now known as New Derry and what we now know as Derry, was originally called Derry Station. The town was laid out along two streets, Pittsburg Street running east to west, and Liberty Street running north to south. Lot #27 Pittsburg Street, on the west side of town, was purchased by Robert Fulton for the sum of $25.00 lawful currency of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, on February 22, 1817.
A Georgian-style stone house and other appurtenances were erected on the property. There are no facts to prove whether Robert Fulton operated the house as a stagecoach inn, however, it is believed that he did because by April 3, 1821, when he and his wife, Lettice, sold it to James Fulton, Jr., who called himself an Innkeeper, the value of the property had increased to $600.00.
Travelers on the Lincoln Highway East often stopped at the Fulton House-Stone Tavern for rest, food, and ale.
A wagon shop was housed in the rear stone portion of the building. Reuben Allshouse purchased the property May 23, 1871, for $900.00. After his death, Edward H. Ferry purchased it from Naomi Berry and other heirs of Reuben for $1000.00 on May 12, 1905.
On November 17, 1941, Floyd N. Thomas and his wife, Clara, purchased the property.
After Floyd's death, it became the property of Thomas Nicodem and his wife, Effie, on August 31, 1970.
The house stood vacant for many years until May 1997, when The Derry Area Historical Society took possession and began the restoration and rehabilitation.
This beautiful stone inn once boarded governors and four presidents and was originally knows as The Union Hotel. The building is now restored following a devastating 1944 fire that destroyed much of the 18th century interior of the original structure. The 1820 east end addition was not affected by the fire. This portion of the building houses the Fulton County Historical Society Museum.
<< back to Articles on Summer Tourism
<< back to All Articles