RECENT ARTICLES
    COMMUNITY CALENDAR
    BUSINESS DIRECTORY
    CLASSIFIED ADS
    PRESS RELEASES
    ARTICLE ARCHIVE
    HOME DELIVERY SUBSCRIPTION
    CONTACT US
    HOME
   
    PONY POSTAL CENTER
    REMEMBER WHEN ANTIQUES
    HAGERSTOWN AUCTIONS
   


 
 

Article Archive >> Summer Tourism

Off the beaten track

Off the beaten track

Keedysville is a quiet, historic town on Little Antietam Creek. It was that creek and an early road crossing that had attracted settlers to the area in the early 1700s. Jacob Hess built a large gristmill and his home there in 1768. The community that grew around the mill was known as Mill Property until 1825 when the Boonsboro-Sharpsburg road was built--Mill Property was at the halfway point, so naturally its name became Centreville. However, when the town got a post office in 1848, the name was changed again, this time to Keedysville after storekeeper Samuel Keedy who was a descendent of one of the town's earliest settler families and had lobbied hard for the post office.
During the Civil War, the town's buildings were used as hospitals for soldiers engaged in the battle of Antietam. By the 1870s, Keedysville had a railroad running through it, an elementary school, three churches (one of which was the first United Brethren Church to be built in the United States), several stores, a hotel, the mill, and the post office.
By the end of the 20th century, Keedysville had developed into a bedroom community with little industry or commerce. The dominant architectural style was Victorian, with some older and some newer homes mixed in. When tourists now encounter Keedysville, they are delighted by its historic homes and quaint Victorian appearance. In all, the residents find Keedysville to be a very pleasant environment in which to live and raise a family.

Printable version

<< back to Articles on Summer Tourism
<< back to All Articles