RECENT ARTICLES
    COMMUNITY CALENDAR
    BUSINESS DIRECTORY
    CLASSIFIED ADS
    PRESS RELEASES
    ARTICLE ARCHIVE
    HOME DELIVERY SUBSCRIPTION
    CONTACT US
    HOME
   
    PONY POSTAL CENTER
    REMEMBER WHEN ANTIQUES
    HAGERSTOWN AUCTIONS
   


 
 

Article Archive >> Winter Tourism

The Old Opera House

The Old Opera House

In 1910, Annie G. Packette, whose family tree included George Washington, raised $50,000 and employed a Washington, D.C. architect to design and construct the New Opera House. Seating 500 people, this opera house came complete with fly-space for hanging scenery above the proscenium stage, an orchestra pit and a curved balcony.
Even though, The Old Opera House lived through two wars, a depression and the invention of the radio, the stage went dark in 1948.
With new ownership and donations, the House opened once again in 1971. They hope to broaden their programming without losing their core audience. The Old Opera House is full of history and is worth a visit.
The Old Opera House is located at 204 N. George Street in Charles Town, West Virginia. For more information visit them online at www.oldoperahouse.org or call 304-725-4420 or toll free at 888-900-SHOW.

Printable version

<< back to Articles on Winter Tourism
<< back to All Articles