Article Archive >> Autumn Tourism
Historic Places in Berkeley County
Historic Places in Berkeley County
There are several historic sites in Berkeley County. Below are just a few beautiful places to visit.
The John-David-Jacob Rees House
This house is significant for its historical association with the Rees family, an early Quaker family in Berkeley County. It is also significant for being a collection of americal architectural history representing three different periods and three different types of construction, consisting of three sections, built at different times using log (1761), stone (1791), and brick (1885).
Morgan Acres- William G. Morgan House
This house was built in 1849 by William G. Morgan, who was a great grandson of Morgan Morgan. Near the present house is the site of Col. Morgan Morgan's first crude building and the site of the log home of his son, Morgan Morgan II, who was associated with the Morgan Chapel. Traditionally, Mrs. Morgan designed this long floor plan so she could see in the parlor mirrors her servants at work in the kitchen.
Golden Meadows- David Morgan House
One of the oldest cabins in Berkeley County is the present kitchen section of the house. The house was built circa 1745 by Col. Morgan and sons for his son, David Morgan. David became famous as an Indian fighter, and along with Jacob Prickett and others, built Prickett's Fort.
Marshy Dell- Gilbert McKown House
This house is architecturally significant as an example of early permanent settler housing that was successfully integrated as a major part of a Berkeley County vernacular farmhouse. The original log house was built in 1774 by Gilbert McKown. Samuel McKown added to the house in 1810. This house, located just east of Gerrardstown, is historically significant for its association with the McKown family.
Henry Sherrard Mill
This mill was built by Henry Sherrard in 1790. In 1809 it was sold to Robert Daniels, Sr., and remained in the family until 1869. In 1844, Harriet Daniels, daughter of Robert Daniels, Jr., married William Sherrard, a descendant of the builder. Both Confederate and Union armies camped at the mill during the Civil War. The mill was converted to a dwelling in 1935.
Mountain View- Washington Gold House & Rippy Cabin
Washington Gold built the brick house in 1854. This is a significant example of Greek revival architecture. This property remained in the Gold family until 1900. Rippy Cabin is a 1 1/2-story log cabin, with the single all-purpose room on the first floor and a 1/2-story loft. All the logs and joists were hand hewn. The cabin dates to the mid-18th century. The cabin served as an early home for the Rippy family.
James Nathaniel Burwell House
This house is significant for its historical association with the Burwell family and for being an excellent example of late Federal rural domestic architecture. It was built in 1842 by James Nathaniel Burwell. There was a Civil War skirmish around the house. A cannon ball and bullets were dug out of the west wall, and a bayonet was found in the basement, and a Union officer's belt buckle was found in the front yard.
Oban Hall- Mary Park Wilson House
This house was built in 1825 by William Wilson, a very prominent merchant of the Gerrardstown area. This house is architecturally significant as a classical example of rural American Federal architecture.
A pre-Civil War meeting house was built at this site in 1830, and was taken over by the Methodist Church.
Decatur Hedges House
This house, built in 1875, is an excellent example of vernacular Victorian Gothic architecture. It is "L" shaped with central hall plan and the "L" is two rooms deep. The main entrance porch is Victorian in design.
"Fort Hedges"- Hedges-Leman House
Built in 1748 by Joshua Hedges, Fort Hill is a two-story stone dwelling originally surrounded by a stockade. Fort Hill became a stopping place for travelers. George and Martha Washington and Patsy Custis lodged with Joshua Hedges on August 5, 1769, and again on the return from the Springs in Berkeley Springs on September 9, 1769. This is one of the only two existing houses in Berkeley County that Washington referred to in his diaries.
Teter M. French House
This house was built in 1860, and is significant for its scenic view as well as for the amount of original material, which has survived. It is a Greek Revival style with accents of early Victorian details.
Maidstone Manor- William Robinson Leigh House
This house is significant because it was the early home of William Robinson Leigh, a famous Western scenic artist. Built in 1848 by William Leigh, the house has a further significance for its outstanding architectural type. Born here on September 23, 1866, William was a double grandson of Rawleigh Colston and Elizabeth Marshall Colston, sister of Chief Justice John Marshall.
<< back to Articles on Autumn Tourism
<< back to All Articles