Article Archive >> Autumn Tourism
Leitersburg Historic District: Busy crossroads
Leitersburg Historic District
Leitersburg is an early-19th century village located in the northeast corner of Washington County, about 3 miles south of the Pennsylvania state line. The village square is centered on the intersection of the Old Nicholson's Gap Road, which runs gently downhill from northeast to southwest, and the Smithsburg-Leitersburg-Greencastle (PA) road, which runs downhill from the southeast to the Antietam Creek several hundred yards to the northwest. This square retains three original early 19th century brick buildings, a tavern, general store, and dwelling; as well as a late-19th century wooden frame grocery store/meeting hall. Most of the original 30 log buildings, somewhat altered, remain. These are typically simple, vernacular buildings. Several examples of brick, stone, and wood frame buildings are found in the village, as well as historic institutions including churches and a 1914 school.
With its location at this busy crossroads, the town thrived commercially. Many buildings served as hotels and stores. Andrew Leiter's c. 1812 one-story stone tavern was rebuilt as a spacious two-story brick structure in the 1830s. Ground's Store was built as an impressive two-story 6-bay long brick building whose facade was laid in a distinctive diapered, or diamond pattern, unique in this region. Burkhart's Hotel was built in stone and log, Samuel Lyday's hotel was built in brick, and Lahm's Hotel was constructed in log with one stone end wall. With the exception of the Leitersburg Hotel, commercial structures in the town have been adapted for residential use. Although their use has changed, they have been maintained and except for modern claddings, these buildings survive in their original form.
The wagonmakers, blacksmiths, tailors, weavers, and shoemakers worked out of their homes. The houses that were built for these working-class residents were primarily of practical log construction. These houses were intended to be covered and protected from the elements with clapboarding, but they were often whitewashed as a temporary measure until finances allowed for proper siding. They ranged in size from one-story two-room cabins to two-story Georgian plan buildings extended by additions. Even the smallest structure was later enlarged with additions or raised in height. Every building stood on a stone foundation, usually with a cellar, and was heated by an exterior stone chimney or an interior brick chimney.
As the town prospered, several houses of more expensive stone or brick construction appeared. The 1846 brick Leiter House is the single representative of high-style Greek Revival interior detailing in the village. Mid-19th through early-20th century buildings were more often constructed of brick or frame. Victorian details such as bay windows and jigsawn porch trim proliferated. Several examples of the early-20th century Foursquare style represent the last significant building period in town. Several original sections of sidewalk are paved with large flat slabs of limestone. Stone walls, dry-laid along alleys and finished with crenelated caps when bordering yards, are found throughout the village. The tree-shaded town retains its approximate 1815-1926 appearance and its rural setting amidst 200-year-old farms.
The Leitersburg Historic District is significant for its association with the development of commerce and transportation in Washington County and the surrounding region in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
The town developed with many hotels and commercial establishments to serve travelers on the two roads. The town also served as an exchange point between the many mills and distilleries located on the nearby Antietam Creek.
<< back to Articles on Autumn Tourism
<< back to All Articles