Article Archive >> Featured Topics
The Trains of Christmas
The Trains of Christmas
The visions, sounds, and snows of Christmas past and present
The Trains of Christmas show at the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum features an "O" Scale 3-Rail Christmas layout with steam and diesel trains by Lionel, MTH, Williams, Weaver, and others operating in a snow scene on four levels. The smoke and sounds of the steam and diesel locomotives fill the air with railroading past and present. The "O" and "HO" trains will also be in operation. There will be railroad artifacts, photos, trains for kids to run, and a gift shop too.
The Trains of Christmas show runs Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays 1-5pm beginning November 21 through March 1.
The Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum is dedicated to the preservation of our railroad heritage and to the men and women who worked for the railroads and made Hagerstown the "Hub City". They promote a public understanding of the railroad-related activities in the general area by restoration, preservation, entertainment, and education.
The collection of historical equipment includes the #132 Diesel-Electric Locomotive built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, PA in 1944, two Western Maryland cabooses built in the Western Maryland shops during the 1930's, and Hagerstown & Frederick trolley #168 built in 1918.
The Museum is filled with artifacts, photos, railroad art, model railroads, a library, a roster of Western Maryland employees, and a gift shop. There is something for everyone at the Museum. There are trains for kids to run, and specials events include the Trains of Christmas and Railroad Heritage Days.
The Museum is located at 300 S. Burhans Blvd. (US11), Hagerstown, in a historic building on the edge of the CSX yards.
The Hagerstown Roundhouse serviced locomotives from the Baltimore & Ohio and Reading railroads. The Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad Locomotive #614 was restored in the Hagerstown Roundhouse and has been in service on tourist railroads for many years. The Reading Locomotive #2100 was the last engine restored in the Western Maryland Roundhouse.
In 1939 the 25-stall roundhouse and shops were the major facility for maintenance and repairs of locomotives and cars in Western Maryland. The railroads were the largest employers in Washington County for more than 50 years. The Roundhouse facility was demolished on March 13, 1999. By the mid 1950's the Diesel Electric Locomotive was the manpower on the Western Maryland Railroad. The coal tipple had lost its usefulness and disappeared shortly after. Admission to the Trains of Christmas is $4 for adults and .50 cents for children 12 and younger. For more information call 301-739-4665 or visit www.roundhouse.org.
<< back to Articles on Featured Topics
<< back to All Articles